We thought you might be interested in these early Sedbergh photographs sent by Wakefield Ward.
Where was the hut one sees in the photographs - was it Red Door on Joe's Hill?
Where was the arts and craft lab? Under the Playhouse before it became Tom's garage?
The images will play automatically but you can use the left and right arrow buttons to advance through the image sets. Click on the image thumbnails to see larger versions.
- 1 - Arts & Crafts with John Macaulay
- 2 - Arts & Crafts
- 3 - Arts & Crafts with John Macaulay
- 4 - Bicycling. Possibly Gordon Howatson?
- 5 - Bicycling. Possibly Tony Vintcent looking back?
- 6 - Break - (L to R) Leonard Ferdon, Bob Stewart, Tommy Hall, Lawrence Redpath , David Allen, Alan Webster on the Senior soccer field. Notice the original crests on the jerseys!
- 7 - Chapel Dorm: I believe the photo is reversed, as the entry door was on the other side of the wardrobe!. The Chapel was never used as a Chapel. It was first a hay loft for the stable below; it became a dorm, then a classroom, then a library and a room for quiet reflection. A beautiful space.
- 8 - Cyril Chapman, the Managing Director of the Seignory Club and an Honorary Sedberghian.
- 9 - Chemistry Lab Classroom: (L to R) TJW, Bill Terry, ???, Mort Jaquays?, Robin Mackay, (behind them, uncertain).
- 10 - Cricket and note the ski jump on Jump Hill
- 11 - Cricket - TJW and ???
- 12 - Dining Room - 1950
- 13 - Dining Room - 1949
- 14 - Face-Off
- 15 - Foundation. Possibly Vincent Lavoie behind the mixer. Foundation for what building?
- 16 - Front Hall
- 17 - George Benson
- 18 - George Trim
- 19 - George Benson and Wakefield Ward at the Old Boys Hut
- 20 - The End Classroom - (L to R) 1st row: Robert Haslett, Chris Schon; 2nd row: Jack Gunn; 3rd row: possibly Tony Vintcent and Mac Killaly; 4th row: ???; Back row: ??? ???, David Allen (window).
- 21 - Infimary
- 22 - Joe's Hill. Hut Beaver in the middle distance on the right.
- 23 - Joe's Hill. Photo taken before the plantation on the left of the tow. Note that the tow engine is at the top of the hill. Joe's Hill was also called Tow Hill.
- 24 - John Macaulay at the Wednesday night educational movies. Everybody is in blazers.
- 25 - Junior Dorm. Neat and tidy!!!
- 26 - Living Room
- 27 - Movie Night with Tom Wood. Note cantilevered staircase - designed by Mr. Forbes.
- 28 - Ned Heney
- 29 - Hut Beaver, originally named Red Door.
- 30 - Red Door under construction.
- 31 - Tennis court on the school side of the road.
- 32 - View to the North - original tennis court was on the right of the photo.
- 33 - PT
- 34 - PT
- 35 - Break in the Courtyard with the washing line behind. Toast time
- 36 - Clearing The Rink
- 37 - Clearing The Rink
- 38 - Senior Dorm
- 39 - Tom's tractor, all the way from Lennoxville.
- 40 - Snowfall
- 41 - Bob Stewart about to head a soccer ball against Selwyn House on Senior Field by Macaulay House.
- 42 - Studying
- 43 - The Old Lady or Madame, as she was also known.
- 44 - Wakefield Ward typing
- 45 - Wakefield Ward on Jump Hill